Growing up the ever popular rice krispie bun adorned the table at almost every kids birthday celebration and we all loved them. Calling this sweet treat “buns” may sound a little odd, as the dictionary version of a bun is… “a bread roll of various shapes and flavouring, typically sweetened and often containing dried fruit”. But in Ireland, they were called, “Rice Krispie Buns”… and I’m sticking to the name. There is also the two ingredient version (also called rice krispie buns), made with melted chocolate and rice krispies, but we like the chewy crunchy texture made with mars bars and marshmallows.
Made theses on countless occasions, they never fail to please and we’re not just talking about kids here… adults love them too. While I was making these my grown-up kids came into the kitchen, each commented “ooh yummy, your making rice krispie buns, when can we have one”? I have made plenty to so there was no waiting around until photographs were taken.
As this is a no-bake recipe they are quick and easy to make and perfect for Easter, birthday parties and other celebrations. Decorate the rice krispie buns with sugarpaste blossoms and butterflies for a springtime theme or use colorful sweets and sprinkles. Of course you don’t have to decorate them, they are just as good left plain and I think the best way to enjoy them is straight from the fridge. Now I am off to make myself and hubby a coffee… guess what sweet treat we’re having on the side?
Rice Krispie Buns
- 75g un-salted butter, cut into small cubes
- 200g mars bars, chopped
- 4 large marshmallows, quartered (use scissors)
- 110g Rice Krispies
- 20 to 22 colourful cupcake cases
- to decorate, butterfly and flower blossoms or other colourful sweets and sprinkles (optional)
How to make:
- Before you start have the cupcake cases and decorations (if using) in place. Next, place the butter and mars bar into a medium heavy-based saucepan. Over low heat, melt the ingredients together while stirring continually until the mixture is smooth. Add the marshmallows, keep stirring until softened and beginning to melt. Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the rice krispies.
- With the help of two dessert spoons, spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases. If you plan on adding decorations do so while they are still sticky. Place the rice krispies buns on a tray and chill in the refrigerator (uncovered) until set, for about 20 minutes or until needed. For longer storage keep refrigerated in a suitable storage container with a lid.
Note: You do not have to wait until the marshmallows are completely melted, once they are soft enough mixing in the rice krispies breaks them up.
4 thoughts on “Chewy Rice Krispie Buns”
They look so cute and it looks like a very easy recipe, yummy.
Yes so easy to make and too easy to eat 🙂
I tried these the other day for my kids.. they absolutely loved them (so did the adults I have to confess) I’m so glad I came across this recipe.. very easy and undeniably scrumptious! I can see why they are a family favorite of yours
Thank you Katy for trying the recipe and letting me know. So pleased to hear that everyone loved them too. 🙂 🙂