In My Kitchen April 2018

Happy April everyone, here with another post on the monthly theme…  In My Kitchen.

After a long hiatus and sitting neglected at the very back of the fridge, I had wondered if “Sabr” my sourdough starter would spring back to life. Now and then I would take “Sabr” from the fridge and feed her flour, this time had completely forgotten the last time I had done this. But as you can see, after two days feeding “ Sabr” flour and water, she has bounced back and is ready to go. I’ve kept the same sourdough starter going for over three years now.

Originally my sourdough starter came by way of post in dried form from Australia. Celia our lovely sourdough queen from figjamandlimecordial.com had sent out packets of her dried starter (called Priscilla) to bloggers all over the globe. So happy I was one of them 🙂

As we live in a hot climate my potatoes and onions are prone to sprouting if I don’t use them up fast enough. Maybe these canvas bags for preserving their shelf life will keep the sprouts at bay for a little longer. Anyone else found theses type of bags worth buying?

From my lovely son, this cute little heart-shaped bowl and wooden board from his travels. He knows his Mama loves souvenirs 🙂

You can also use this handy little nutmeg grater for grating large pieces of rock salt, chocolate and hard cheeses. Love the aroma of freshly grated nutmeg, so much fresher than pre-ground.

I was actually looking for a large brown envelope while in a UK store when I spotted this cookbook dedicated to chocolate. The cookbook, “A New Way of Cooking with Chocolate” by Hotel Chocolat” is not all about sweet things and has some interesting savory recipes too. Although the book was selling at a reduced price I think it’s a lovely cookbook with plenty of inspiration and recipes for chocolate enthusiasts. Will update you when I try out a few recipes… although not sure about the white chocolate mash 🙂 Earlier in the month and in my sons kitchen, enjoying one of the supermarket live yoghurts and wondering if anyone would eat an indulgent chocolate granola (from the cookbook) for breakfast. Would you?

Dried a variety of cherry tomatoes from the local farmers market. Once dried, packed them into jars, poured over a little balsamic and covered them with olive oil. They really are moorish, we love them. I like to keep a constant supply of dried tomatoes in the fridge as we seem to use them up quite fast.

More ripe bananas equals more banana cake in my kitchen.

I had heard the saying “less is more” does not apply to whisks. I couldn’t agree more and wouldn’t be without a few different kinds in my kitchen. Would you agree?

The “In My Kitchen” monthly theme host is Sherry, from sherryspickings.blogspot.ie If you would like to know what’s cooking or see some kitchen treasures, head over to Sherry’s blog and check out all the other IMK participants.

1. mae says:

I used a canvas bag for potatoes & onions just because I had it around — can’t say it did anything special for them (and I live in a very temperate climate). But maybe yours will be better. Nice kitchen things — I’m with you on wisks!

best … mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Let’s see Mae, seems the jury is out on these vegetable bags but I guess if they keep them from sprouting a little longer then it’s a good thing 🙂

2. sherry M says:

what a beautiful post Moya. those sourdough starters are miraculous aren’t they? they just keep on keeping on. i actually keep my onions in the fridge in the veg crisper. and my potatoes are in a large dutch oven with a tea towel on the bottom to soak up any moisture in the air, and a lid which i keep slightly askew, to keep out the light. i could drill a few holes in the pot and i wouldn’t need to leave the lid a bit off. the bowl and board are so pretty. what a kind son. i too adore whisks and have several of different sizes and sorts. i have a nutmeg mill which does a great/grate:) job. thanks for joining in IMK. cheers sherry x

Hi Sherry yes it does surprise me how the sourdough starters bounce back after much neglect… but it almost didn’t happen this time. Not sure I would drill holes in a dutch oven either, they are great for baking sourdough bread in… which I’m sure you already know. I have a nutmeg mill too, also handy 🙂

You’d be surprised how the sourdough starter bounces back but it make take a few days. Mine was flat and very sad looking with a layer of liquid on top… known as hooch 🙂

3. jrrose80 says:

I’m with you on the freshly grated nutmeg – it has to be one of the nicest smelling things on earth. 2 days to get a neglected sourdough starter up and running again is pretty amazing. I’ve got some dry starter in the cupboard that has been patiently waiting for me to pick it up again. I want to jump through the screen to eat up all those tomatoes…I can see why you get through them so quickly!

Maybe its time to rehydrated your starter… there’s nothing like a home baked loaf of bread and the satisfaction that comes with it. Thank you for stopping by 🙂

4. Glenda says:

Hi Moya. We put our bread in cloth bags in winter but in the fridge in summer. Our climate is so dry the bread ends up like a rock if left out in summary.

5. Glenda says:

Btw. We keep our potatoes and onions in a wooden box, with lid, in the pantry – it seems to work the best in our climate – hot and dry …

6. Anonymous says:

I have a potato bag for a number of years and my potatoes sprout beautifully I’m sorry to tell you However I’ve never put them in the fridge as I don’t have enough room

7. Interesting post and I have enjoyed all the comments about cloth bags and keeping onions/potatoes from sprouting. I am afraid my own are just in a quiet corner on the counter and I try to use them up before they sprout (or the sprout makes the onion soft). Love all your whisks, I have a collection as well, and the heart shaped bowl is adorable…how nice of your son to think of you. Thank you for reminding me about drying cherry tomatoes, I am missing summer tomatoes so much but it will be several months before they are in the markets. Meanwhile the cherry tomatoes are not half bad. I think I will dry some next week. Do you dry them in your oven or do you have a dehydrator?

8. Francesca says:

I always love to see our styling Moya- an inspiration. You make everyday objects- onions, potatoes, whisks- look like art, a rare skill indeed.I am impressed with that lovely detail on top of the banana bread too.

Thank you Francesca appreciate the lovely comment 🙂 I was so happy the bananas didn’t sink into the cake mixture while baking… a lovely banana bread recipe by Donna Hay.

9. Kim Bultman says:

Moya, I haven’t tried those canvas bags to prevent potatoes from sprouting yet. (How are they working out for you?) My stash is generally sequestered in a plain ol’ brown paper bag away from heat and light — so far, so good — although I do have to flick off a few “sprouts” now and again before I cook them. Your son sounds like a gem with his souvenirs!

I’ve also never seen a banana cake (or banana “bread” as it’s called here) with such a beautiful half-banana garnish “baked in.” Loved your dehydrated cherry tomato stash, nutmeg grater, and whisk collection, too! The more, the merrier, xo.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w