The swivel peeler comes in handy when preparing the cucumber ribbons for this refreshing salad. The citrus dressing is prepared in advance so the flavours can infuse together. Before serving, shave the cucumber into ribbons and gently toss them together with the citrus dressing. When making this salad I like to buy the English cucumbers as they contain fewer seeds and the cucumber ribbons are firmer. Serve this salad with a nice piece of grilled salmon for a delicious and healthy meal.
Cucumber Ribbons and Orange Salad with Dill and Citrus Dressing
- 2 oranges, segmented (squeeze juice from remaining pulp and reserve for the dressing)
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons of freshly chopped dill
- 1/2 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 5 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large cucumbers
Hold the orange over a small bowl while segmenting, to collect any juice that drips from the orange. I like to use a very sharp paring knife when segmenting the orange, so that I end up with neat slices.
How to make: Place the red onion, dill, garlic, orange juice, lemon juice, sugar, virgin olive oil into a screw top jar and shake all the ingredients together until combined. Season the citrus dressing with salt and black pepper, set aside until needed.
Just before serving, trim the ends of the cucumber and shave the cucumber lengthways into ribbons, using a swivel vegetable peeler. Place the cucumber ribbons into a serving bowl with the orange segments and pour over the prepared citrus dressing, gently toss together and serve. Serves 4