Fruit and oats are favorites for breakfast and taste even better when blended into a delicious smoothie with Oatmeal, Raspberries, Blueberries and Chia seeds. And the good part is… the whole process only takes a few minutes from start to finish. If you enjoy making smoothies it’s a good idea to store a variety of fruits separately (in ziplock freezer bags) in your freezer, such as raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, cherries and bananas. When blending, the frozen fruit helps thicken and chill the smoothie without the need for ice, which only dilutes the flavor. I also keep a bag of oats in the fridge, especially for smoothies, keeping everything really cold. Adding oats makes the smoothie more filling and perfect for anyone who wants to have an all-in-one type of breakfast.The wonderful thing about smoothies is you can use different fruits and other ingredients, like rice, soy and coconut milk, coconut water and tofu… to suit your taste and dietary requirements. You can also stir in other healthy energy boosters such as chia seeds, ground flax-seed or ground nuts. To sweeten or not to sweeten… a little honey or agave syrup is suffice. You can even go vegan with this lovely Peach Oatmeal Smoothie recipe over at the Minimalist Bakers blog or you might want to try this Avocado Smoothie with Cinnamon. Have a great start to your day and blend up a healthy satisfying smoothie for breakfast.
A Smoothie with Oatmeal, Raspberries, Blueberries and Chia Seeds
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 100g greek yoghurt or other plain yoghurt (full-fat or low-fat)
- 3 tablespoons of oats
- 100g of frozen berries (mix of raspberries and blueberries)
- 1/4 teaspoon Chia seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon honey (optional)
How to make:
- Place a serving glass into the freezer. Add all the ingredients into a blender and blend on low-speed for a few seconds before increasing the speed to full power. Blend until ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Pour the smoothie into a chilled glass and serve immediately.
What fruit do you like in your smoothies and do you like to add any special extras?