Coming back from an event I feel excited knowing I can pass some healthy goodness to my family and readers, plus share recipes, like these easy and delicious Shrimp and Kiwi Rolls. Although more familiar with Zespri Green and Gold, Zespri have launched a sweet new variety of kiwifruit called Zespri SunGold into the Middle East markets.
These kiwifruit are available in Bahrain, just keep an eye out for the Zespri SunGold sticker. At the Zespri event, held at Top Chef Cooking Studio, a nutritionist gave us a talk on the nutritional benefits of the SunGold kiwifruit and afterwards Chef Paul Frangie demonstrated some of his delicious recipes.
- The new larger variety of kiwifruit is exceptionally rich in vitamin C (has more than their green cousin), containing more than oranges. Vitamin C is known for boosting the bodies immune system, reducing tiredness and aiding collagen formation, essential for healthy skin, teeth and bones.
- Contains vitamin E and minerals like folate and potassium.
- High in fibre which is important for keeping the digestive system healthy and has an enzyme actinidin, aiding digestion of proteins found in meat, milk, yoghurt and legumes. You can also find more information by visiting the Zespri website.
Impressed by that fact that you can get most or all of your vitamin C intake (depending on your requirements) by eating Zespri SunGold kiwifruit every day. It’s such a nutrient-dense fruit super fruit, perfect for eating as a snack and tastes very refreshing… try a Zespri SunGold and taste the difference yourself. The SunGold kiwifruit is deliciously sweet, very juicy and when eating noted subtle taste of strawberries. With it’s smooth skin (no fuzz) and delicate golden flesh you can eat it whole… actually eating the skin doesn’t feel weird at all.
Incorporating Zespri SunGold into recipes is another way of enjoying your daily intake of kiwifruit and we enjoyed Chef Paul Frangie’s tasty Veggie burgers with Kiwi Salsa, Kiwi Jam, Kiwi Cheese Cake (served in shooter glasses) and Shrimp and Kiwi Rolls, all made with a healthy twist. Love using my handy Spife, a food tool especially made for cutting and scooping out the flesh of kiwifruit… makes eating them so easy.
Hubby is training for two big events, Challenge Bahrain on December 6th and going for another Ironman in New Zealand, March of next year. With all this training ahead I think it fitting to incorporate lots of Zespri SunGold goodness into his diet (also ours) with some healthy recipes.
A table laden with an array of ingredients for smoothies, we each blended our own concoction. I made a smoothie with kiwifruit, blueberries, raspberries and coconut milk… another easy way to enjoy some fruity goodness.
Loved the idea of adding kiwifruit to these Shrimp and Kiwi Rolls, these went down a treat at the event. When making them at home I poached the prawns instead of pan frying and seasoned the prawns (slicing in half lengthwise if large) when mixing with the lime zest and juice. Also, I squeezed a little extra lime juice over the avocado to stop them from discoloring. Rice paper rolls dry out easily, keep the rolls covered with dampened kitchen paper when making. Although I have not tried these together yet, the Spicy Mango Chutney would be a delicious dipping sauce for your Shrimp and Kiwi rolls, if you liked something a little different.
Thank you Zespri and the organizers for inviting me to the Dubai Event and introducing me to the Zespri SunGold experience that will help contribute to the health of my family and readers.
Shrimp & Kiwi Rolls
Recipe and method by Paul Frangie
- 500g Shrimp
- Rice paper (10-12 sheets)
- 1 Avocado
- 2 Limes
- 1 Red Onion
- 3 Zespri SunGold Kiwis
- Bunch fresh coriander
- Salt & pepper
1. Preheat a frying pan on medium high. Once hot; season the peeled and de-veined shrimp with salt and pepper and place in the pan to fry on each side (about 2-3mins in total). Once cooked; remove, keep aside on a plate and allow to cool slightly.
2. Thinly slice the kiwi, red onion and avocado, pick leaves off coriander, and keep aside separately.
3. Zest and juice two limes, keep aside.
4. Once the shrimps have cooled slightly. Add lime juice & zest to shrimp, mix and leave to marinate.
5. Fill large bowl with warm water, and dip one sheet of rice paper in the water and place on chopping board.
6. In the middle of the rice paper add a small amount of shrimp a slice of kiwi, avocado, tomato and red onion, top with some fresh coriander.
7. Fold in sides and roll over rice paper to form a roll, keep aside. Using a wet knife slice rolls on the diagonal. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients.
8. Serve & enjoy!
Tip for buying and storing: All Zespri Kiwifruit are sweeter when softer and are ripe when the fruit yields to gentle pressure. Do not buy overly soft kiwifruit that have wrinkly skin.
You can speed up ripening of firm kiwifruit by storing them at room temperature (away from sunlight) with apples and bananas. Or, slow down ripening by storing the kiwifruit in the fridge, away from all other fruits. With our hot weather I prefer to store my kiwifruit in the fridge.
8 thoughts on “Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit in Healthy Shrimp and Kiwi Rolls”
What a lovely combination of flavors Moya! I also enjoyed seeing the video with your Asian chicken salad. I have two questions:1- Is there a way to make chicken tender? The chicken I get is often dry. Does pounding the chicken tenderize it? 2-Where can I get rice paper? Thanks for sharing all these beautiful recipes and tips with us.
Thank you Safia and so glad you enjoyed the video. I buy my rice paper sheets at the Asian Supermarket opposite the central market in Bahrain. Choosing the freshest and best quality chicken is always a good place to start. Before grilling or baking, lightly pounding chicken fillets to an even thickness helps break down some of their muscle fiber, resulting in a more tender chicken. Thinner pieces also cook faster. Marinating can also help tenderize chicken and you can even use kiwifruit as a marinade, but only for a short time. 🙂
The golden kiwi fruit are indeed delicious…What a great way of using them in the rice paper rolls.
Yes the SunGold Kiwifruit are now a favorite. We love rice paper rolls but I had never added kiwifruit to them before… they certainly got the thumbs up. 🙂