In My Kitchen May 2015

In My Kitchen_ May 2015_Wooden Boards_Chocolate BarkCan you believe it… a year has passed since joining the wonderful blogging community participating in Celia’s In My Kitchen monthly posts. I look forward to these posts each month and love seeing what others have in their kitchens. So cheers to another year 🙂

Hubby bought me these small wooden boards on his travels as he thought they might come in handy with my food photography… which I’m sure they will. And some lovely chocolate bark in all sorts of flavors in my kitchen… but not for long.

Homemade Basil PestoHomemade basil pesto is so easy to make and a pot will store happily in your fridge for a week… if you manage to keep it that long.

Spelt_Red Qunioa_CouscousSpelt berries, quinoa and couscous are some store cupboard staples in my kitchen. Love adding them to salads, making them more wholesome. The small dishes are from my collections of Nicholas Mosse pottery… all the way from Ireland. I have many pieces in my kitchen which have travelled back with me over the years.

Sea Salt with Wooden ScoopI love having different types of salts in my kitchen and usually stock up when I notice some in the supermarkets. And to go with the salts, my handy wooden scoop.

Bahrain Farmers Market VegetablesSome colorful fresh veggies and some very sweet mulberries in my kitchen from our local farmers market. Love the vibrant color of the purple cauliflower and after steaming, turned a shade paler. Looks so pretty in salads and in gratins. Purple cauliflower is the same family as broccoli and some call it broccoli! It has a sweeter taste and not as bland as white cauliflower.

Local Bahraini Fish_SafieOften on a Friday we cook local fish for lunch and we love Safi. The smaller the tastier and all you need do, sprinkle over some fish spices and season with a little salt, then fry. These are so delicious and the only way to eat them is with your hands. When fried they have a very strong aroma that clings to everything so we always cook them outside.

What was In My Kitchen One Year Ago:

In My Kitchen May 2104

Anne we have steamed rice flavored with cardamon, cloves and cinnamon and a simple salad made with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and onion… a favorite friday lunch at home 🙂

1. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef says:

What a wonderful husband to think of buying those boards for you. I’ll ask my husband to read this post. 🙂 Everything in your kitchen is quite special!

2. I love the photo of the fruit and veg but let me check what you said. Are those green, elongated fingers at the bottom, mulberries? Are they edible when they are green – is it a special sort? Or have I misunderstood. Meanwhile… loving those little boards. You will get much use from them. xx

Yes they are long white mulberries which I have not come across before, I was surprised how sweet they were as they do look quite raw 🙂

3. ramblingtart says:

I just found your blog today and am delighted by your gorgeous photos and inspiring kitchen items. 🙂

4. lizzygoodthings says:

Hi Moya… loving all the goodies in your kitchen… those wooden boards are lovely, aren’t they! And those berries. Wow.

Hello Lizzy I am sure I will get plenty of use out of these little boards. The mulberries were so sweet, which I wasn’t expecting 🙂

5. fergie51 says:

Hi, those boards and little pots are beautiful indeed. Love that purple cauli what a stunning colour. Can I come to your place? My husband has a fish allergy and I often hanker for a feed like that. 🙂

Hi Fergie the purple cauliflower is very pretty indeed 🙂 My sisters husband has the same so no fish in their house too.

6. Kirsty says:

Wow Moya, such vivid colour in that cauliflower!
    I just love chocolate bark. Its so easy to pull together, and so many combinations of ‘bits and pieces’ to add on top. Your bark collection looks super tasty. I bet I couldn’t stop at one piece! cheers, Kirsty

7. A whole year of peeking into your kitchen, how lucky we are! 🙂 Your photos are always so beautiful Moya – that top pic could have come straight out of an expensive glossy cookbook. Love your little Irish pots and I’m curious about the mulberries – are they the green ones at the bottom of your photo? Over here, mulberries are deep purple and they are rarely found on sale because they transport so poorly – the only way to get some is usually to raid a neighbour’s tree! 🙂 Have a great month! x

Thank you Celia for your lovely comment 🙂 Although I may be short on words I do love taking photos. I also love being part of your virtual cuppa each month and look forward to many more IMK posts. Only found these at the farmers market as it was berry season in Bahrain. They had purplish ones too but the long white mulberries (yes the green ones on the bottom right) were so much sweeter. Had a few left the next day and they looked pretty sad… so keep on raiding the neighbour’s tree 🙂

8. Moya, your goodies in your kitchen this month are wonderful. My favourites are your lovely new wooden chopping boards – perfect for photography; your grains and cute little bowls and the fish has me intrigued – are they similar to sardines? Did I say I love your new blog look 🙂

9. Moya says:

Hi Nichole, will enjoy using these boards with my food photography and handy to use as small serving trays too. Safi are not similar to sardines, they are a type of rabbitfish and have a strong taste and aroma, not so oily but very tasty. We only like eating the smaller ones. Did wonder if anyone noticed the new look on my blog and you are the first to let me know, so thank you 🙂 🙂

10. Kim Bultman says:

Moya, that tiny scoop is darling! Very handy size and easier to dispense salt, I’m sure. You have some wonderful goodies in your kitchen this month, and the chocolate bark, Irish pottery, and purple cauliflower were my favorites. (It’s so hard to pick just one or two!)

11. MamaD1xx4xy says:

Love the vibrant fresh veg. We are trying to grow some orange and purple cauliflower in,our garden now, fingers crossed it works! Those wooden boards are gorgeous, how great to have a husband bring home fantastic gifts!

12. Moya says:

Will keep my fingers crossed and hopefully we will see your wonderful purple and orange cauliflower on future IMK posts. Very happy with my wooden boards 🙂

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )